hit counter for tumblr
Forum » Worldwide Boat Fishing Fourms » Saltwater » WD-40 Does anyone still use it.

WD-40 Does anyone still use it.

• Wow i actually did that last year Richard hahaha what a crack up you should mention that !   So happy these forums are working again now . Now i better just let everyone know i guess!  :) 

October 15, 2013 5:48 AM PDT
  • spray it on the door hinges so you can sneek out to fish without the doors creaking lol

September 14, 2013 6:30 AM PDT
  • HAHAHA  i was thinking the same thing as i read it , id take the garlic prawn as well..  but i must admint i use crayfish ( lobster) for bait here at times and many people frown at that , the things we do for fish ..

August 28, 2012 10:30 PM PDT
  • As WD40 is oil and oil doesn't mix with water does it not just imediately come off the bait and float to the surface?

On another note I use WD40 for cleaning the salt of my reels and rods and have done so for years - I haven't noticed any damage to my nylon shock leaders but maybe that's because I wipe with a cloth rather than spray straight on.

As far as Garlic is concerned we use Garlic marinated prawns for Plaice and it definitely works - attached is a Plaice I caught on Saturday that took Garlic prawn.  The only problem with this approach is the Garlic Prawn may taste better than the Plaice!

August 28, 2012 9:59 AM PDT
  • I have heard of people spraying WD-40 onto metal lures but not in recent times. I for one wouldn't use it, in fact i try my best to keep my hands free from contaminates such as fuel, greese, WD-40, and even cigarette residue while fishing.

Any of those smells on my hands could transfer to lures and bait and i find fish can be sensitive to these odour's.

I do use aniseed but in very small amounts. I don't actually put it on my bait or lures, but put a few drops on my hands and rub it over my fingers. This helps to cover any other smells or contaminates on my hands so none gets transfered to my bait , lures and tackle.

I have found too much aniseed mixed with burley or soaked into bait can actualy have the reverse effect, turning the fish off the bight or making them very fussy on bait and lures.

July 21, 2012 1:52 PM PDT
  • In australia, aniseed is the main fish attractant :p

July 18, 2012 2:33 AM PDT

I said no such thing, but if you still after being informed that it's toxic and will pollute the enviroment. Then yeah I would call you a pollouting moron, but im sure you wouldn't go use WD40 my friend.

By unenlightened moron i mean a person not having the means to put 2 and 2 together and think twice about using a lubricans from a aerosol can, used in your garage/shed for all kinds of things. To think sure it's most likely safe to feed into a water enviroment, not going on the internet and look up the chemicals in the can. I know thats what I did the first time someone told me about the WD40 useage for fishattraction, took my WD40 and looked up the content chemicals on google and the safety data sheets from both EU and the US. I truely hope just a few who read this thinks twice about using WD40 or atleast look up the chemicals listed as toxic, then deside that toxic chemicals have nothing to do in our waterways, streams, rivers and oceans we all love to fish. 

If someones granddad showed up and told me about it, I would likely think "ahhh well he is'nt from a time where Google and the Internet was a common source of enlightment" Then i'd be more polite and tell him that WD40 contains toxins and hope he understands his grandchildrens children most likely also would like to have the chance to fish. Grine 

About aniseed I can see thats mainly banned in NZ, but looking at the chemical charts for it. It's not something you should pour bottle by bottle into the water, it's non toxic but do have a negative effect on mycus membranes and it's not water solublel but biodegradable. So intence use in ponds and small lakes could cause problems for the fish's imunesystem to fight of infections ect. I can see the ban started on Paylakes and tournament waters, so it have proberly been a problem at some point in NZ with over use.

In rivers, oceans and fast changing waterways I see no problem with use of anisees oil as a fish attractor, from the info I have been able to find just now it seems somewhat safe in small doses. So for all that I care give it a go and good luck with it.

Happy fishing to you all!

July 17, 2012 10:06 AM PDT
  • So your saying im a unenlightened Moron then because i clearly said i was gonna give it a go , HAHAHAHA  Im good with that been called worse and hey these days we all know cant please everyone.. Ive heard of 100's of fish attractors over the years Aniseed being the most illegal (or thought to be )and wd40 maybe just a wise tail, but its traveled the miles for years and years many many peoples grandfathers have sat them down and said ... Spay a bit of this on helps the bite..(maybe grandad just trying to impress a young kid while fishing what ever it is , its part of the history of fishing) . But whatever it is, im sure its not as if every fisherman will soak there baits in wd40 and then go fishing... that i agree would be be a little crazy and maybe not so good for the enviroment or for the people eating the fish , but really once again you might be amazed how many people around the world do believe wd40 works toxic or not  . 

One thing i can say is CRC ruins your nylon and i guess wd40 does as well , so if theres only one thing we get out of this , any younger members reading this can learn .. Take a Note when using Crc or WD40 on reels dont let it anywhere near your fishing line because it will rot the line.

But overall Tobias  is right we do have so many options out there that are natural , that we shouldnt be going around using stuff that is Toxic. 

July 17, 2012 3:31 AM PDT

Let me be blunt!

Both Paraffinic distillate and Isoparaffins petroleum hydrotreated are toxic, so using WD40 as a fish attractor is idiotic and only a unenlightened moron would do so!

My love for people who pollute water,  and well delibretly pollute in general can be placed in a very tiny little place!

There are soo many great natural attractors now days, so there is no need to use toxic stuff like WD40. And yes Garlic is a fantastic flavor enhancment, I use that for both Carp and Trout. They love it along with krill shrimp oil and several other spices!

July 16, 2012 11:28 AM PDT
  • I dont use WD40 but certainly have heard of people using it even over here in New Zealand , I Might have to give it a go this summer :) why not everything has to be worth a go once .  I have heard that Aniseed is very good is that what is the base of that Anise product you have there ?

Garlic i certainly never heard of but will give that a go as well this season..

Cheers for the vid very usefull cheers man .. I edited your vid so its in the post :)

July 16, 2012 6:09 AM PDT
  • I use it to fix stuff, not for scent. There is a lot of controvesy in Australia about whether it is good for the environment to use on a lure to catch fish... Bloody Greenies.

WD40 contents - 

white spirit 45-50%
    paraffinic distillate, heavy, solvent- dewaxed (severe) 15-25%
    isoparaffins petroleum hydrotreated HFP 12-18%
    carbon dioxide 2-3%

Not too much fish in there.
      July 16, 2012 3:04 AM PDT
  • My uncle always used WD-4- on salmon and I have heard it works for Stripers as well. Does anyone still use it?

This post was edited by Rob Oliver at July 16, 2012 6:01 AM PDT
      July 16, 2012 2:45 AM PDT