hit counter for tumblr
Forum » Worldwide Shore Based Fresh Water Fishing Forums » Questions » Rubber baits, tubers, etc - Research

Rubber baits, tubers, etc - Research

Hmmm HCL "hydrochloric acid" is sold at home Depot under the name "muriatic acid" - Im sure you can find it at other hardwarer stores too, if not under Hydrocloric acid, then under muriatic acid. Here it's a pretty common acid, I even think I can buy it at larger groccery stores in the sections for chemical cleaners. 

Good luck mate

February 14, 2013 3:06 AM PST
  • Thanks guys, I'll hopefully be able to do a little with this this winter.  My segment is still waiting to go.  We've been backed up a lot with a few other paid projects and while we got video this summer for more episodes for Season 2, we're just finishing up Season 1.

Pali, I'm not sure if I can even get HCL?  Anythig common that you could think of that I could use to roughly simulate?

January 19, 2013 5:22 PM PST
  • one of teh guys on another fishing forum landed a bass with a soft plastic still attached to its mouth . i have also read reports of the soft plastics littering river beds and not decomposing as they are supposed to.

September 11, 2012 10:32 AM PDT
  • one of teh guys on another fishing dorum landed a bass with a soft plastic still attached to its mouth . i have also read reports of the soft plastics littering river beds and not decomposing as they are supposed to.

September 11, 2012 10:32 AM PDT
    Hi Mike interesting topic

I use rubber/fake baits, not as much for trout as I use it for Carp. But my local speciment fishing shop, he sell different fake lures for trout n other predator fish.

From what I have been researshing, they are often made by a silicone basis, I don't know 100% and would be interesting.

Im pretty shure there is no way the fish can digest this, so it would most likely just pass thru the fish.

"quote"
    Gastric acid secretion has been measured in the codfish (Gadus morhua) equipped with a catheter draining the stomach, by titrating the water swallowed by the fish. Unstimulated acid secretion was found to be very low; in most fishes not exceeding 8 mumol H+/kg h. Intramuscular injection of histamine evokes a dose-dependent secretion of gastric acid, with a maximum acid output of 300 mumul/kg h occurring with 10 mg/kg histamine dihydrochloride. No acid response was obtained with pentagastrin.
    "unquote"

I was only able to fns info on Codfish gastric acid, but let's just say there isn't the biggest different between cod and trouth.

As I read it the acid content is based alot on the water the fish are in, the only reason I can find that a titration of the water the cod is drinking can determen the gastric asid to contain maximum 8 μ mol H+ / per kg

8 μ mol is not very much, 1 mol is 36.47 g of HCL (hydrochloric acid) but this will simulate a cod stomach acid 100%

Human gastric acid contains 5.6 grams HCL pr liter, so if you can't digest it a fish would never ever be able to.

Finaly I have never found fake baits in any fish I have opend, only traces of powerbait in trout.

Hope you can use some of this

Tight lines
      October 30, 2011 12:39 AM PDT
  • I'm doing a bit of research for one of my episodes.  We've had a couple people find rubber baits in the stomachs of Lake Trout that they have caught, and one person gave me the one they found.  I'll be showcasing this on an episode to be released this winter, but would like to do some research before I finish up the episode.

1. How many of you use rubber/fake baits?  Of those that you use, do you know what they are made with?  Are they digestable?  Will they decompose in a fish's stomach, or cause a blockage?

2. Does anyone know of what I could use to simulate a fish's stomach acids to put a bait in to see long term effects on the bait of being "digested"?

3. Has anyone else caught a fish and opened the stomach to find a rubber bait inside?

Thanks for you help!

Mike

October 13, 2011 10:31 AM PDT